The legendary motorcycle brand Harley-Davidson is well known, and the aggressive, roaring Harley-Davidson motorbike is a regular feature of the Hollywood biker. A two-cylinder piston engine gives them excellent reliability. But do you know How Many Miles Is A Harley Engine Good For?
A Harley-Davidson engine’s lifecycle is determined by a variety of factors, including proper maintenance, management, riding strategy, and much more. Well, if you treat your Harley bike carefully, you should expect it to survive for over 75,000 to 80,000 miles, and some high-quality Harley bikes can run on HD engines for well over 100,000 miles. One can estimate that a Harley-Davidson has a lifespan of more than 25 years based on an annual usage of 4,000 miles.
Anyway, if you prefer to get more info regarding Harley’s engine lifespan, check out the entire article. So, let’s get started!
Related article: What was the first Harley Davidson carburetor made of?
How many miles is a motorcycle engine good for?
- Depending on the type, model, and version of the bike, as well as the owner’s riding, maintenance, and control methods, will determine the longevity and miles.
- Motorcycle engines should last between 50,000 and 250,000 kilometers on average.
- Furthermore, a motorcycle engine can run for between 30,000 and 50,000 miles before needing to be repaired or replaced.
- The exact lifespan will be 10 to 15 years.
- For instance, if you ride your motorcycle 10,000 miles each year, for instance, the engine may survive for approximately 150,000 kilometers. However, riders who ride only 5,000 miles annually can begin to lose power well before they hit 150,000 miles.
Also read: Best carburetors for Harley Davidson
What is the most reliable Harley engine?
- Back during the AMF era, which lasted from 1968 to 1981, Harleys acquired a negative reputation for being unreliable.
- The Evolution EVO engine Harley-Davidson Sportster is a Harley engine that has a reputation for being durable.
- Harley also offers the following two solid engines: the TC or Twin Cam Harley engine (TC), and the Milwaukee-Eight Harley engine.
- The latest, longest, and most powerful street-legal engine Harley-Davidson has ever produced is the V-Twin 131 cubic inches (2147cc).
- If properly maintained, kept, and serviced, Harley motorcycles are durable enough.
- A Harley will be trustworthy if it is maintained at the intervals indicated in the owner’s manual.
- Therefore, you should maintain a large supply of o-rings, snap rings, gaskets, spare fuses, washers, shop rags, Loctite, and perhaps a few spark plugs to keep the bike long-lasting.
Related Loctite: LOCTITE 271 Vs 272
How many miles will a Harley last?
- With good maintenance, the typical motorcycle rider can expect to cover between 3000 and 5000 miles on a Harley-Davidson yearly.
- Any model of modern Harley-Davidson built after 1998 should be capable of lasting 20+ years and 150,000+ miles with proper maintenance.
- Like everything else, if it’s properly cared for, not misused, and valued, it will survive almost endlessly.
- For instance, a rider with 310,000 miles on the clock has never replaced the engine. Therefore, new components would be your only issue.
Related motorcycle rider: Common mistakes made by beginner motorcycle riders
How many years can a Harley-Davidson engine last?
- The Harley-Davidson bike engine will last a lifetime if you take care of it properly.
- Since 1903, the Harley-Davidson corporation has been producing a series of engines in Milwaukee, Wisconsin for use in their motorcycles.
- However, if the engine is kept clean and the motorcycle is handled properly, it can last for up to 50 years.
- Although a leak could be detected at any time, the pistons and valves should last 80,000 miles.
- Your Harley’s engine may sometimes last longer than 150 000 miles.
Related article: How long do motorcycles last?
Which Harley-Davidson engine lasts the longest?
- The Flathead, sometimes known as the “45” engine due to its flat, curving cylinder heads, has endured the highest durability of any Harley-Davidson engine in the company’s history.
- Additionally, their best engine ever is the new 131-cubic-inch (2147cc) V-Twin.
- The Evolution-engine Harley-Davidson Sportster is the one used by Harley that is known today for its exceptional durability.
- The 1987 Harley Tour Glide with 416,000 miles is the highest reported mileage on a Harley-Davidson engine.
- However, Dave Zien, a former senator from Wisconsin carried the 1991 Harley Davidson FXRT 1,000,000 km in 2009, and it is currently on exhibition at the Hall of Fame & Motorcycle Museum in Sturgis.
What is the shortest time Harley-Davidson engine perform?
- You might need to rebuild the Harley engine after just 30k miles if you abuse it.
- Few HD engines have been reported to leak oil as early as 6,000 miles where some others can go over 100k km without experiencing a failure.
- An engine can sometimes die after only a few 100 kilometers.
What is considered high mileage for a Harley?
- For all types of motorcycles, high mileage typically ranges from 20,000 to 50,000 miles.
- Dealers will generally state that anything above 20,000 kms or 12,000 miles is considered high mileage for all types of bikes.
- Over 200,000 miles on a well-kept Harley is not at all uncommon, but a poorly-maintained bike might be significantly damaged with fewer miles.
- It truly depends on the engine, but properly maintained Evo engines (from 1984 to 1998) will survive well over 100k miles.
- Harleys with Evo engines have a high mileage of more than 200,000 kilometers without ever having any issues. Twin cams are much more reliable than this one.
- Unfortunately, some motorcycles need costly repairs when they reach 60 or 70,000 miles.
Related article: Harley Evo Vs Twin Cam
How many miles can a Harley go before rebuilding?
- Remember, engine rebuilding need not be classified as the failure of engine.
- At 80,000 miles, your top end will necessitate rebuilding; at 30 thousand miles, your clutch may possibly fail.
- A properly maintained bike should travel 75–85,000 miles before needing a top-end rebuild.
- Harley engines can go anywhere from 30,000-150,000 km before requiring to be repaired.
- If you regularly maintain it and ride it, you can easily reach 100k miles.
How many miles can a Harley Evo last?
- Users with Harley Evo engines have enjoyed riding more than 100,000 to 145,000 miles.
- Additionally, bikers with TC engines on Harleys have traveled more than 90,000 miles.
How many miles will a Harley 103 last?
- Harley motorcycles often have a longevity of over 100,000 kilometers.
- 103 horsepower and 110 ft-lbs of torque are produced by the Street Performance kit.
- Harley 103 engines are likely to last for more than 150,000 kilometers.
- During the 150,000 miles, the car will demand to be repaired once or twice, but the engine will be kept.
How many miles can The Harley Sportster go on a tank of gas?
- The standard range of a motorcycle’s range of travel is between 120 and 200 miles on a full tank of gas.
- A full tank on a Harley Sportster takes about 3.3 gallons of fuel.
- If you ask, “How many miles per gallon does a Harley 1200 Sportster get?” The correct response is that a gallon of fuel will usually go 45 to 55 miles.
- The Harley Sportster’s 3.3 gallons can therefore go between 148.5 and 181.5 miles.
You may read also: How much does a Harley Sportster weight?
Harley Vs Other bikes
- When compared to Honda, which has an average lifespan of 150,000 miles, there are Hondas that have up to 400,000 miles on the odometer, meaning Honda lasts longer than Harleys.
- If we talk about Indian versus Harley, their engine life is equivalent to that of similar big-twin engine designs, but the integrated shaft-driven gearbox of an Indian motorcycle will outlast a primary chain-driven Harley-Davidson gearbox by 100,000 miles.
- Also, the Triumph vehicles typically survive between 100,000 and 200,000 miles. So, Triumph will stay longer.
Also read: Harley Davidson vs Honda
How many miles is too much for a used Harley Davidson?
- Basically, 20,000 to 30,000 is a bit excessive for lightweight sports bikes. 50,000 km and higher is regarded as high motorcycle mileage for big motorbikes.
- Usually, any component can be upgraded, changed, restored, or repaired. That’s why, unless it’s damaged, you probably won’t find a big twin for less than 10 GS or a Sportster for less than 3.
- If properly maintained, Harley-Davidson bikes can last a lifetime.
- Harley-Davidsons, Honda (particularly Gold Wings), BMWs, and Moto Guzzis have the ability to stay more than 100k kilometers.
Are 40,000 miles on a Harley a lot?
- It should be noted that a bike engine with 40 to 50 thousand miles on it is considered to have high mileage.
- But a properly maintained bike can travel 4,000 miles in a year with no trouble.
Is 25,000 miles a lot for a Harley?
- Motorcycles made by Harley-Davidson are constructed to last a long time.
- 25,000 kilometers may seem like a lot for Harley sports bikes.
- Plus, 25K miles is nothing for a well-maintained Sportster.
8 Possible reasons that affect how long a Harley-Davidson engine
- The Harley needs regular engine maintenance. The longevity of the engine is also influenced by the quality of the oil & how frequently filters and oil need to be changed.
- Additionally, using low-quality replacement parts might increase the downfall of a Harley.
- The bike becomes fragile if the engine rebuild is mishandled.
- Usually, more rough riding skills shorten the life of the engine. Drag racing, wheelies, and burnouts are a few activities that can shorten a motorcycle engine’s lifespan.
- When you miss maintaining the specified idle RPMs, overheating might ruin the engine.
- The 45-degree, air-cooled, pushrod engines are necessary. If any of the things face trouble, the engine becomes damaged. Also, their performance and power output are also relatively restrictive.
- Engine modifications might occasionally reduce a Harley bike’s durability as well.
- Additionally, environmental conditions can be a concern. A Harley-Davidson motorcycle engine’s longevity can be shortened by Northeast Rocks and road conditions.
Also read: Best Oil Cooler for Harley Davidson
10 Tips to make your Harley last longer
- Give importance to what the manufacturer and dealer said.
- Maintain your Harley bike parts
- Manage your Harley storage effectively.
- Clean up the motorbike most often.
- Check and replace the engine oil frequently.
- A proper motorcycle break-in is required.
- Regularly inspect and lubricate the chain and ongoing lubrication is crucial.
- Oil and air filters should be regularly cleaned or replaced.
- To the greatest extent feasible, it is crucial to keep your speed stable.
- Don’t expose your motorcycle to rock salt, but make sure you are riding on a smooth surface.
Also read: Best stage 1 air cleaner for Harley Davidson
1. How many miles will a Harley Twin Cam last?
With regular maintenance, the twin cam was created to last 100,000 miles before needing substantial repair.
2. Do Harleys break down a lot?
There is a myth that Harleys frequently break down. However, this was most likely true of past versions, which were most likely less reliable. It can currently last for at least 25 years or 75,000 miles.
3. Is 30,000 miles a lot for a Harley?
Yes, 20 to 30k is a lot for Harley and on the high side for small sportbike riders.
4. How much does it cost to rebuild a Harley engine?
An engine rebuild for a motorbike generally costs around $3,000 to $7,000. The actual cost is determined by a variety of factors, including the parts of your bike, bike models, and their condition.
Anyway, Harley-Davidson bikes have good reliability at the present time. So, the Harley engine can run above 100,000 miles and last for more than 25 years with proper maintenance. We hope you understand How Many Miles Is A Harley Engine Good For and how you can maintain the bike for lifetime security.
Simply follow our given tips and the reasons that break your Harley bike so that you can keep yours for a long time. However, if you get benefited from the article, feel free to ask for any other content on the Harley Davidson motorbikes.